j.duprie

Default Lilac?

you seem to have found the info.. one comment: if you leave it unfinished
for a bit after you make something, the purplish color will turn a beutiful
deep purply brown..

As for making a "wand of enrapture", if I could get folks to pay me $60 for
a twig with some carving on it, I'd be cranking them out faster than
spit.....

--JD

"darin-N O S P A M-nntp2" "darin-N O S P A wrote
in message ...
Has anyone out there done anything with lilac? We had some heavy
straight-line winds roar through here Sunday night, and our neighbor
lost a 60-year-old lilac about 6" in diameter. I was cutting it up to
dispose of it for him when I saw that it had the most amazing reddish
purple rings. I managed to salvage about 5' of reasonably straight wood,
and I've tucked it away for the day when I finally buy a bandsaw :-)

(I have no idea what I'll do with it, but maybe I can make some small
boxes or use it for inlay or pen blanks or something. It just seemed too
interesting to toss out.)

Darin

P.S. I just did a quick Google on "lilac wood", and it turns out I could
make myself a Wand of Enraptu

http://www.autumnspath.com/the%20limited%20wand.htm

Do you suppose there's a huge market for these things? (I sure hope not.
Not to make fun of another's belief system, of course :-P