Posted to alt.home.repair
Karla[_2_] Karla[_2_] is offline

Default mcculloch electric chainsaw leaks

"Ape" wrote in message
I inherited this chainsaw, and it looks and works pretty good for its
size. But the chain-oil slowly oozes (leaks) out when the saw just
sits unused on the table. I have disassembled it, and see nothing out
of ordinary. But I know little of how chainsaws really work.
The Sears parts page shows little to help me.

Google searches indicate that this problem is common. Some people say
that when they remove the tank-cap to relieve pressure in the tank,
the leakage stops - and so they do that after using the saw before
storing the saw away. Did not work for me. My tank emptied overnight
with the cap removed.

So I ask - anyone suggest something that I do to stop the leak when
saw sits unused - except emptying the oil tank that is.

Thanks

The Apeman

I have an assortment of brands (all middle of the road) in varying sizes (I
can't resist when I see them for $5.00 at the Goodwill). They all leak oil.
I've found that storing them in 5 gallon buckets with the bar pointing to
the sky minimizes the leaking. I hang
the buckets from the rafters in the garage, freeing up space for the rest
of my Goodwill finds.