Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Diamond wheel or "?" for cutting cast iron pipe

On Jan 4, 2:51*pm, "TomR" wrote:
While reading another thread here, I noticed some comments about what types
of cutting wheel to use for cutting metal. *One person wrote,

"Although steel is tough on a diamond blade, it isn't instant death.
I have used mine in reinforced concrete. I have also used a diamond
wheel on cast iron pipe. (just because it was tight and a fiber wheel
wore down too fast)"

My question is, for cutting cast iron sewer pipe -- with an angle grinder --
what type of wheel/cutter is recommended?

I always thought that any "metal cutting" wheel/cutter would be fine --
maybe a diamond blade? *But, what are the possible choices, and what would
people here suggest or recommend?

Thanks.

Expensive diamond wheels can be ruined by using on ferrous materials.
As the cut heats up the steel absorbs carbon from the diamonds in the
wheel.

Wheels for cutting metal are usually carborundum.