Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default Diamond wheel or "?" for cutting cast iron pipe

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 09:51:08 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

While reading another thread here, I noticed some comments about what types
of cutting wheel to use for cutting metal. One person wrote,

"Although steel is tough on a diamond blade, it isn't instant death.
I have used mine in reinforced concrete. I have also used a diamond
wheel on cast iron pipe. (just because it was tight and a fiber wheel
wore down too fast)"

My question is, for cutting cast iron sewer pipe -- with an angle grinder --
what type of wheel/cutter is recommended?

I always thought that any "metal cutting" wheel/cutter would be fine --
maybe a diamond blade? But, what are the possible choices, and what would
people here suggest or recommend?

Thanks.

I've cut cast iron sewer pipe with a standard angle grinder cutting
blade. One blade should last long enough to cut thru a 4 inch pipe.
The regular blades are only around $2. A diamond blade will be much
more costly. Most of the time all you need to do is cut in half the
thickness of the pipe, and whack it with a hammer and it will break in
half. Warning, if you're cutting into an existing cast iron plumbing
stack, be aware that there may be hundreds of pounds of cast iron above
the cut that could crash down. Always secure it first. I saw one crash
once, and it was not a pleasant sight.