Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Carbide turning tools

Al Holstein wrote:
I am just getting started turning bowls, etc. I don't have a lot of tools and am looking at buying a carbide tipped tool, like Rockler sells or something off of Ebay.

My question is they say that they give a long lasting cutting life. I don't know what that means relative to using a HSS and sharpening frequently when turning. In other words how often do I need to expect to replace the tip with another $20 tip.

I welcome any comments.

Al

Maybe you could post a link to the tool you are referring to?

I think the general philosophy on cutting tools around here is that you
get what you pay for. Thus, if what you have to spend is $20, then your
decision is made.

Since the work is passing by so fast ina lathe, gouges dull much faster
than when used for carving, for instance.