Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Took some photos in the shop today....

on Thu, 03 Jan 2013 10:07:24 -0500 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 06:00:31 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Pete, how would you suggest that we vote for a candidate not of the

Unfortunately, close doesn't count. We have to find better people to
run for office, and make sure they don't have a million skeletons in
their closet. How about requiring a top secret clearance before someone
can run for any office? That would scare the **** out of 99.99% of
potential candidates.

Running for a public office requires a lot of money. Do you think the
special interest groups with the money will ever fund a candidate who
will oppose their agendas in any way?

Two other issues: political contributions were capped in 1974.
They have not been increased since then for inflation. $2,500 Dollars
in 1974 would be $11, 600 dollars in 2012. What that means is that a)
you can't give a candidate a million dollars (or 4 million) with the
expectation of a visit to the White House, or maybe an Ambassadorship.
B) it takes longer to raise a million bucks 2,500 dollars at a time,
than 11,000 dollars at a time. Which is why candidates spend so much
time at fund raisers.
Secondly, the PACs have had a bad effect on party structures. Why
give money to the Party, when you can give it to the Candidate, or to
a PAC for the Candidate? With SUperPACs, now you can spend all you
want, as long as you do not co-ordinate with the campaign, wink, wink,
nudge, nudge, say no more, eh?
--
pyotr filipivich
Question for the gun Control advocates, "Do you agree with