Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cross-Slide Cross-Slide is offline

Default Cheap 3 jaw lathe chucks

On Friday, January 4, 2013 5:35:52 PM UTC-6, d32 wrote:
Anyone else had trouble with the $150 three jaw chuck?

About 4 years ago I bought a used 13 X 40 Jet lathe. Sweet machine compared to the Smithy 3in 1 I had. It came two three jaw chucks and each of them had 20 mill run out. I bought a new cheap 3 jaw and was thrilled to see it had about 2 mill run out until the 2" diam Al rod jammed when I was parting it out. Now I have 3 cheap 3 jaw chucks with 20 mill run out.

The new chuck (Christmas present) is arriving in a day or two and it is supposed to be a step up from the cheap ones. I am also going to be way more carful doing cut off operations.

Anyone have some rule of thumb for cut off operations?

You can modify the back plate to make it into an adjust true type chuck... So VERY easily.

Turn the back plate smaller than the mounting register on the chuck, make sure you have clearance for the mounting bolts, and add adjuster screws to dial it into position..
Even easier than making a new mounting plate for the new chuck..