Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Cheap 3 jaw lathe chucks

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 15:35:52 -0800, d32 wrote:

Anyone else had trouble with the $150 three jaw chuck?

About 4 years ago I bought a used 13 X 40 Jet lathe. Sweet machine
compared to the Smithy 3in 1 I had. It came two three jaw chucks and
each of them had 20 mill run out. I bought a new cheap 3 jaw and was
thrilled to see it had about 2 mill run out until the 2" diam Al rod
jammed when I was parting it out. Now I have 3 cheap 3 jaw chucks with
20 mill run out.

The new chuck (Christmas present) is arriving in a day or two and it is
supposed to be a step up from the cheap ones. I am also going to be way
more carful doing cut off operations.

Anyone have some rule of thumb for cut off operations?

Uh -- start with a cheap chuck that's already beaten up?

http://www.wescottdesign.com