Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unhappy with Aprilair 600 humidifier

On Jan 4, 11:34*am, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:
wrote in message

snip useless crap

My problem was clearly stated
* * I am looking for a couple of flow meters

Not buckets, not anything else

Which part did you not understand ?

This is your entire original post:

"Need to measure water consumption and waste from Aprilaire 600
humidifier
It uses heated water and is dumping at least 10+ gallons down the
drain, and
not doing much to humidify house. "

Note that nothing in there says anything about wanting
flow meters. It suggests the core of the problem is that
you're concerned about the humidifier not putting enough
water into the air and too much going down the drain.

THAT can be determined with a bucket and a watch.
THAT approach costs nothing, takes very little effort to
do. It's simple. It works. Most people would be looking
for that.

Also noted is nothing about what the current climate is,
the size of the house, how much the furnace is running,
what the humidity level actually is.

Then you later refined it to this:

"I am looking for a way to measure accurately what goes into the
humidifier,
and what comes out, at different settings.
So I can figure how how much water is just plain flushed by this
system "

Which again is addressed by the solution using a
bucket and timer that I offered. With the bucket and timer
approach, you could determine if the max output of
the humidifier meets the spec sheet rating.

"So now that we've discussed side issues
Does ANYONE have any suggestions for a simple mechanical off-the-shelf
flow
meter to measure relatively low-level water going in and coming out of
the
humidifier ? "

Then you posted:

"For my own reasons, I would like to have a better idea of inflow and
outflow over time mapped against outside temp and humidity levels,
and inside temp
and humidify levels
I really don't want to work measuring buckets. "

Which now finally says what you really want are flow meters.
Probablly compatible with some kind of grand system that is
going to monitor the whole thing over time. We aren't mind readers.

I've tried to be helpful here. Others have too. If all you
want are flow meters, how hard is that to find? Did you
use Google? Look on Ebay? If all you want is a flow
meter, why didn't you make a post just stating that,
instead of one complaining about the performance of
your humidifier? Even if someone here did
give you a link to a flow meter, then you'd be bitching
because they can't be interfaced to monitor over time
or whatever. We're not mind readers. The group is
pretty good though at coming up with what is wrong
with a simple thing like a humidifier. But apparently that
isn't what's important to you.

And again, I've owned two Aprilaire humidifiers and both
did an excellent job of humidification. I've seen many reports,
over the years here, all good here about Aprilaire. So, there
must be something unique about your situation. And instead
of exploring THAT,you insist on instrumenting up the house.

Good luck with that.