Kevin Wilcox

Default wood storage dilemma

You might not need to go all the way to the attic. I built a frame out of
2x6's big enough to hold about 100bf that is suspended from the garage/shop
ceiling. Dims are about 4'x9'. One short end is connected to the ceiling
joists with heavy duty hinges. The other end is held up with chains &
screw-eyes when stored in the up position, with double pulley and hand winch
system used to lower it to the ground when I need to get to the wood. The
winch is bolted to the TS frame.
It sounds kind of scary, but it really is not. Seem much easier than
fishing a 10' long board through a pull down stair.
Kevin
PS: I'm a structural engineer, so I was comfortable in saying my ceiling
joist could support the load. You'll need some way to verify that your
ceiling will support the load, whether you're on top of the ceiling or
hanging underneath it.

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

SWMBO and I are at loggerheads regarding my wood storage/shop space. To
date, she has had this old POS piano that she says she's going to restore
sitting in one corner of the garage/shop. I need/want the space to set up
more workstation/storage space. She offered that if I take down my wood
storage rack that is along the back wall of the other garage bay, and move
the piano there, then things would be fine. Ugh.

The only other option I have is the attic storage above the garage, which

is
actually quite spacious. There is a hoist on one end and a swing-out set

of
double doors. Inside is a pull-down staircase.

My question is - does anyone have experience dealing with lumber storage
upstairs in a loft/attic like this? Is a hoist the best/easiest/safest

way
to get rough lumber in reasonably long (approx. 8'-12') lengths into such

space? It just seems like a royal PITA to me, but I have to live with the
space I have for now. There really isn't any space on my property to

build
an outdoor shed or other storage facility.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Mike