D. J. Dorn

Default Grizzly G5959Z cabinet saw, 12" 5HP

That's a great review so far, I'm looking forward to reading more.

Don

"Ollie" wrote in message
I am in process of setting up my new Grizzly saw and would like to confirm
that my experience is matching the stories I have been reading in the
internet. In summary, the price performance is excellent, but there are
some quality issues. It is still too early to say, if any of those issues
has any impact to the results you can get with the saw.

Purchasing:
First I did try to purchase the saw directly from Grizzly. I did need a
delivery to my home address and moving the heavy (over 600 lbs) box into

my
garage. After several e-mails and phone calls, I could not get a
confirmation from Grizzly that they can arrange an inside delivery. The

plan
B was to make the order through Amazon with the expectations that I could
include the inside delivery as part of the package.

The Amazon order did not work. With the upgraded security checking,

Amazon
was not able (or willing) to charge my credit card. After two failed
attempts, I gave up. Time for plan C.

I made an order on Grizzly web site and gave an instruction to contact me
before the delivery. Grizzly was very fast in booking the order and
confirming the shipment. Once I did learn the shipping company contact
information, I did call them and requested the in-house delivery. They

said
that it can not be done without an authorization from Grizzly. Once

again,
I contacted Grizzly and got the same answer; they can support only the
standard delivery. Call back to the shipping company and discussions with

5
different people in 3 different cities, I finally got a confirmation that

can have the in-house delivery and they will bill me later.

Delivery:
I was at work and SWMBO got a call from the truck driver that he didn't

find
our address. He didn't even have a local map. The instructions through
phone didn't work. Solution: SWMBO and the truck driver agreed to meet at

local 7/11 (Wawa) and from there the truck followed SWMBO to our home.

Unloading:
Everything was going quite well when the tailgate started to come down.

Two
feet's before the crate was on ground, the tailgate started to tilt under
the
heavy weight. And my dear saw fell down. The box was not very strong,

but
the tank like saw construction took the beating without any visible

damages.
My first concern was that the trunnion or table top alignments were

harmed.
Luckily the motor bracket and the styrofoam block kept everything in

place.

Cleaning:
WD40 was quite efficient in cleaning the table top and the wings. There
were some paint like dirt that resisted my paper towels and repeated WD40
treatments. The dirt was not strong enough to fight against a sharp

chisel.

Table top attachment:
This was the first quality fault I did find in G5959Z. One of the M10-1.5

30 bolts was almost without threads. Another bolt had a "hole" at the

top.
The bolt with the hole is a design fault in this construction. I guess

that
the original G5959 had different measurements. When they changed the
tilting from right to left, the table top attachment bolt is sharing the
same coordinates with a rear rail attachment bolt. If the rail is in

place
you can not turn the table top bolt. My plan is to shorten the bolt by

1/4
inch.

Moving the saw to basement:
My workshop is in basement and I did start to move the saw there in

pieces.
The table top and the wings were not too bad; I was able to move them by
myself. For the cabinet, motor, and trunnion, I will need some help. I

am
planning to leave the base bolted on the shipment crate and either slide

it
or trolley it down the stairs. There should be one or two extra inches in
the door opening for the crate.

The fence:
I have not yet installed the fence, but it is heavy and looks very solid.

Electricity:
Before I can really enjoy my new baby, I need to get 220 V in the

basement.
The electrician has promised that it should happen during this week.

If there will be any significant observations, I will share my experience

in
another posting.

Cheers, Ollie