Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Cutting 2" Concrete?

Norminn wrote:
Our new house has a "pond", with koi fish, which is actually a
concrete lined oval "tub" about 3' deep. I would like to eventually
enlarge it and landscape to make it look more natural. Previous owner
did the concrete work and lined that with epoxy grout. Ideally, I
would like to cut a "U' in the narrower end to make the water flow
continuous to add-on. Is their a tool, DIY or contractor, that will
cut concrete without destroying the pool? If the only option is to
cut straight "V", it might be disguised with stone or plants. Anyone
with experience cutting concrete?

Let me see if I have this right...

You have a tub - plastic I presume - that has been lined with concrete; you
want to remove some of the concrete without damaging the tub, right?

The first thought is a diamond blade in whatever as others suggested.
However, you would have to control the depth of cut carefully so as to not
damage the tub. Safest way would be to cut almost all the way through the
concrete and carefully break out the remainder. The problem with that is
that you don't know how thick the concrete is and it may well vary in
thickness.

I think if I were doing it I would use a chisel (SDS) drill since the area
isn't all that big. Harbor Freight used to have one for about $100, I don't
see it now. Others are from $200, I'm sure they can be rented. They work
like a rotary drill, which can hammer or rotate or both except there is a
third setting for hammer only. They really do chop up concrete in a hurry.

You could also do it by hand using a mason's chisel and a hammer. I
recently did some that way, used a chisel about 1 1/2" wide plus another
about 5/8 to get an area started. I doubt the concrete is very adhered to
the tub, assuming it is plastic, so all you really need to do is chisel
through the outline of what you want gone, then start prying (carefully).

--

dadiOH