Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default So, what's the point of that, then ... ?

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 16:45:12 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The reported problems were that the sound level fluctuated on both
channels,
and that the headphone socket did not cut the speakers.

My old Mitsubishi CRT TV had two headphone sockets. One cut the
speaker, the other did not. Presumably it was to allow a hearing
impaired individual to listen to the TV via headphones while their
partner listened via the speaker. I can't imagine that this would
apply in the Denon case, though.

I'm trying to envisage some kind of safety issue, but I can't think of
any that make sense. There have been times when I've received a
deafening blast from my headphones at switch-on, or when selecting a
signal source, but that's not something that would be remedied by
unswitched speaker outputs.

- Franc Zabkar

The headphone socket on my current TV is always live, but it has its own
software level control, and of course, there is a remote 'mute' function, so
the internal speakers can be turned off if I want to listen to something on
there, whilst the missus is messing about on her laptop, or whatever.
Interestingly, the on-screen 'mute' symbol disappears after about 2 minutes.
On my workshop TV, you get a bloody great red loudspeaker symbol with a bar
through it, all the time it is muted ...

With 40 yeras of experience in this game, and added to the all the combined
years of the rest of us on here, if we can't come up with a sensible reason,
then you have to assume that there *is* no sense to it. I hate it when you
get a puzzle like this though. I really would like to know what the designer
was thinking when he did this for the "English" model only. By that, do they
actually mean the "UK" model ? I can't imagine that any different version
was shipped to N.I. or Wales or Scotland. That would be a bit like having
one version for Texas, and a different one for Colorado ...

Arfa