Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unhappy with Aprilair 600 humidifier

On Jan 3, 11:55*am, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

eb.com...

On 1/2/2013 5:51 PM, Cliff H wrote:
You can also turn down the water. I cranked mine down so that when it was
on
a working for awhile there was only a very small trickle of water out the
drain.

I never read the instructions for one, but I thought that is what you were
supposed to do. You want to keep the plates wet. Flushing some water
through will reduce mineral buildup.

RTFM?

What makes you imagine I didn't read the manual
* * I'm one of those guys that get well paid because others don't read their
manuals

I'm using more water in winter, than in the other 3 seasons when SWMBO is
watering the garden at the drop of a hose.

I used far less water with portable humidifiers and humidity was more
consistent
* * Hence my unhappiness.

I am looking for a way to measure accurately what goes into the humidifier,
and what comes out, at different settings.
So I can figure how how much water is just plain flushed by this system

*So now that we've discussed side issues
Does ANYONE have any suggestions for a simple mechanical off-the-shelf flow
meter to measure relatively low-level water going in and coming out of the
humidifier ?

I don't see why you need a way to measure the water
flow since you posted yesterday that it was 10 gallons
a day and now it's down to 5 gallons by partially closing
the valve. So, apparently you've already measured
the flow rate coming
out the drain. If you want to figure out how much is
being evaporated, just run the humidifier water for some
measurement period without the furnace/blower running
and record the volume as you did before. This number
will be higher and the difference would be what's going
into the house.

Also, I would not be worried about it being hot water that
is going into the humidifier, that it's a waste of hot water.
The water coming out of the humidifier will be down to
about room temp due to evaporation. So, you're recovering
most of the heat. And don't know your cost of water, but
around here 5 or 10 gallons a day isn't enought to worry
about.

How large is the house where you can't get enough
humidity? Outside temps?