Bubba

Default Bench Dog Or Bench Hold Down Clamp?

"Tim Hurd" wrote in message
I'm building a workbench that I originally designed to have a series of
3/4" x 3/4" bench dogs. I'm about to cut the dogs, but I came across
some 8-1/8" bench hold down clamps:

So, which should I go with? The dogs or the clamps?

The workbench will have no specific mission, just a general workbench.
The dogs are 3/4" square and the clamps are 3/4" diameter.

Thanks.

Use BOTH. Buy the hold-down clamps and make the dogs. For the dogs, cut
some 1 1/2 inch squares out of 1-inch maple stock; bore 3/4 inch holes in
the center and glue in some 2-inch pieces of 3/4 inch oak dowel. There is
no reason that the dogs have to have square shafts. Round works just as
well and fits into the same holes as the hold-downs. I prefer hardwood
dogs. They do less damage to chisels, gouges or planes when there is
accidental contact. It's also a good idea to glue a pad of shoe-sole
leather to the part of the hold-down that will be in contact with the work.
Makes for fewer dents in the work.