Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default Why are trusses being used in homes

On 1/3/2013 7:40 AM, Doug wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 08:18:08 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

Doug wrote:

Aside from the other replies I read, I'd say overall better
workmanship and more uniformity in measurements.

I think that is just a sign of modern builders being lazy or incompetant.

My house (1950's) has excellent regularity in the original framing work.
Unlike the loft conversion that was done in the 1970's by a moron with a
hammer.

I'm not surprised and I was referring to more modern housing. I've
seen some modern wood construction in home building that made me glad
I wasn't buying that home. I also know a good carpenter that almost
got fired because he couldn't make a quota on hanging front doors and
it wasn't due to lack of knowledge. Personally I love really old
homes circa early 1900s tho I do recognize that some aspects of
construction have improved, if DONE PROPERLY.

But how many homes built in the early 1900s are still around? It
is true that the ones that are still around were well built, but
the ones that aren't around may have been poorly built. You have
to figure out what the average was. I'm sure that there were
homes built back then that were junk from the start particularly
small homes. When I was young we were renters and we lived in
some houses that were basically shacks with pretensions. You
haven't lived until you have lived in a house with single wall
construction. The only thing keeping out the wind is the wall
paper.

Bill Gill