Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OTish: Anyone use a ColdHeat Soldering Iron?

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Do they still make "multicore" solder? I'm getting low on the last roll
I bought 20 years ago. The stuff will alloy to ANYTHING!

Ersin/Multicore is still availible, but it's expensive. I bought
three NOS 1 Lb rolls at a flea market a few months ago for $10. It's
just what I needed to fix LCD monitors that had been built with that
crap lead free garbage.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=multicore+solder&_sop=15&_frs =1
has some decenet prices if you watch for them. They use a good mild RMA
flux that will let you solder to a lot of thengs oter solders won't wet
to.

Be careful to make sure you get the right alloy, and that you get the
one pound spool. Most solder is sold on half pound spoools these days.
The other thing to watch is the gauge. They make it all the way down to
.015" for rework of surface mount components. The smaller the solder,
the higher the price.

I just spent something like $33 on the last lb roll of 0.031" Kester
solder. It's almost tempting to tin the larger tips with the crap out of
the solder sucker.

There is nothing wrong with that. I used to toss all that scrap into
a solder pot, and used it to til leads & soldering tips. Dip the tip in
acid flux, then into the pot. It comes out perfectly tinned, then you
drop it into a slightly base solution to neutralize any remaining acid.
When I didn't have a solde pot handy, I would toss the scrap solder into
a small metal container, add a few drops of liquid rosin flux, then stir
the stuff around to tin the tip. You ended up with a small ball of
clean solder, and some dross. Over the years I collected about 15 pounds
of used solder that way.

I'd bet that used solder is nice and high in Tin! A good mix with
bullet lead. If you ever want to sell it, let me know.