Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OTish: Anyone use a ColdHeat Soldering Iron?

I was given one - have all sorts from large black beauties down.

It is a conductive short that heats up the work - the work must
be the conductor. If the current is high enough, it gets hot and
you can melt onto the hot metal.

Remember the short must be held for a while - not moved around or
on - off.

Martin

On 1/1/2013 11:01 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 1/1/2013 9:43 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I don't remember if I posted this here yet or not, so...

I bought a ColdHeat soldering iron and it came yesterday. When I
tried soldering a couple of 18ga stranded copper wires together,
it failed miserably. It didn't seem to get hot enough to melt the
solder into the strands at all, although it melted about 1.5" of thin
solder.

Tips to get it to work (on the 14ga wire I bought it for) would be
appreciated. Would liquid flux help at all? It seemed like the
carbonized tip got nice and hot but the wire didn't.

TIA

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.

I didn't think they would work, energy density is too low...no free lunch.