Posted to uk.d-i-y
www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] is offline

Default Making a Shunt Resistor

In practice I found it pretty difficult. Best thing to do is check Ebay to
see if a ready made one is available. You'd need to know the exact
parameters of the material you are using and make it by measuring size -
measuring the actual resistance at 0.00001 ohms or whatever isn't easy.

Here's one I made earlier... (around 1988 for my Radio Amateur rig)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vt7igvz4g...2018.05.34.jpg
13.8v Home-Grown PSU

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0dss3b7hr...2018.12.48.jpg
Subtly modified meter with "danger zone" added.

The heart of the beast
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8tncjzumf...2018.08.19.jpg

And.... the shunt! (it's the doubled up wiggly blue wire)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjoyl9omua...2018.09.35.jpg

I think it only took 3 or 4 tweaks in length to get the meter calibrated
to the load being drawn.

Pete@

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.