Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default CORRECTION mothballs?

tommyboy wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 23:54:18 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

Never heard that ... Active ingredient in mothballs/crystals is
Naptha/Napthalene. The old machinist's trick/tip that I have used in
the past and which I know works well is to buy a block of menthol
(composition is similar to, but a bit denser) than moth crystals. I
managed to find some (haven't seen in recent years) at a pharmacy. It
was a block about 1"x1½"x½" wrapped in clear cellophane. I'd throw it
in the tool box after lightly scoring the cellophane so the vapors could
escape slowly.

My error. The machinist's trick involved CAMPHOR blocks. Apparently,
they are used in some aromatherapy situations as well.

At any rate, they are available on Ebay, Amazon, and, I'm told, can be
ordered through the pharmacy at drug stores like WalMart, Walgreens.

Not sure on the drugstores but it's fairly plentiful on Amazon and Ebay.
A pound (16 1oz blocks sealed in cellophane, each containing four
tablets) will run you about $15 or

Sorry for the earlier confusion. If you rushed out and bought some
menthol, you may be able to use it yet this winter if you get a cold

LOL

Is this the stuff used in urinals?

No. That is, or used to be, paradichlorobenzene.

--
G.W. Ross

I'm not 70 something, I'm 59.95 plus shipping and handling.