Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default mothballs?

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

On 1/1/2013 4:09 PM, dadiOH wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
I have a mouse problem in my garage, I've tried the electronic
pesticide.. it's not working well.

Gee, surprise, surprise.

A friend of mine, now deceased, was one of - if not THE - first
manufacturers and purveyors of those gizmos. Made millions. I
mentioned to him, one time, my doubt about their efficacy. He agreed
that they didn't work, said he gave a moneyback guarantee. I asked
him how many had been returned, he said 700; I then asked how many he
had sold, he said 700,000.

Amish mantle, anyone? Maybe a 24k gold "clad" coin?
____________

So now I am trying an old remedy of mothballs. I sprinkled them
around the garage perimeter, fortunately my dog won't go near them,
he backed away from the smell. And boy do they stink.

I think I read years ago that throwing one in a draw with tools kept
the rust away. Is this true?

I hate the smell but have a bunch left, and wondered if I can
preseve some tools by throwing a ball in there.

Apparently the camphor in them does...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camphor

They make good targets too. Heat a solid copper wire, string on some
mothballs, hang it up and blast away.

Thanks, turns out these have no camphor, these are traditional
napthalene. My garage stinks after 1 dozen balls were put around.
Damn, don't know how the parents and grandparents used to put up with
that in the closets.

I have not been able to find out whether the napthalene have the same
effect as the camphor.

Other mothballs are paradichlorobenzene, so it's important to know what
flavor you want for a particular off-label application.

I've had very good luck with wind up repeating mouse traps. They get a
bit gross if left unattended too long, but they've definitely cut our
mouse problem WAY down.

http://www.bugspraycart.com/traps/ca...ster-clear-top

works well with this bait:

http://www.bugspraycart.com/traps/lure/pecan-paste