Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Han wrote:

Tim, I like to distance myself from the dogooders. Laws of unintended
consequences and stuff. But Sandy Hook is not the result of the left
doing anything.

OH YES IT WAS.

There is a universe of laws restricting what society can do about those with
a mental illness that disposes them to violence. Everything from preventing
incarceration to the absolute secrecy of diagnosed mental disease or defect.
Virtually every single one of these laws and regulations was conceived and
promulgated by the left.

Saying the unfortunate consequences of these laws is the price we must pay
so that the people who smell funny can mope amongst normal folk unchallenged
and unregulated is identical with my observation that the few gun deaths
society experiences is the price we must pay for freedom.

Sandy Hook is the result of easily available
weapons, a disturbed young man, and a mother who tried to help
instill self- confidence etc in her son in the wrong way. Moreover,
Mom did not foresee what son could do with those weapons. As far as
I am concerned, I think you and many others have shown you can handle
the responsibility. The fact of 30-odd thousand gun deaths (wasn't
that the figure?) shows that there are too many who can't. So are we
calling the Aurora victims, Sandy Hook kids and teachers, and Webster
firefighters just poor collateral damage?

Again, the instances you name (except for the firefighters) ARE the
collateral damage from an ill-conceived, upstream, liberal persuasion. That
persuasion is the notion of a "gun free" zone. In EVERY case of mass killing
by firearms (4 or more killed) since 1950 has taken place in a "gun free"
zone (with ONE possible exception: the Phoenix parking-lot shooting that
involved Gabby Giffords).