Sandy

Default Salt and vinegar for rust removal

On Sat, 8 May 2004 06:02:31 -0700, "Paul O."
posted:

Did a google for rust removal and saw a few references for removal of
lightly rusted hand tools using table salt and vinegar. Any of you use this
method? If this works would like to try it before scrounging up the parts
for electrolytic rust removal. How much vinegar and salt do you mix with
water? Thanks.

I'm wondering why the salt. It surely does nothing but perhaps cause
problems later on. I would prefer a stiff brush and kerosene or WD40.
Although vinegar will not rapidly dissolve iron, it will very slowly.
It will also, a little more quickly, dissolve rust, but I would prefer
to remove this mechanically with something that impedes further
rusting. Just my 3 cents...