Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default How to stop entry door leaks?

HerHusband wrote:
I have installed several prehung exterior steel entry doors over the
last few years, and virtually all of them have minor leaks somewhere
around the bottom. The first was the entry door to our garage,
which has now rotted and will need replacing this summer. Obviously,
I don't want any other doors to rot like the first one, or worse yet
cause structural damage to the buildings.

The way I've fixed mine is...

I originally posted about the rotting door frames about three years
ago. In almost every case, water ran down the sides of the door
jambs, and wicked up the bottoms of the jambs. This quickly caused
the door jambs to rot.

My solution was two fold:

1. I replaced the door frames with composite frames (PVC material like
Trex decking). I just measured the door and hinge locations to the
nearest 1/32", and ordered them from the local Lowes store. The steel
doors were fine, so no reason to replace those. The old doors and
hinges attached to the new frames with no difficulty.

2. Once I had the old frame out, I repaired a couple of minor rotting
areas in the sheathing beneath the door. Then I installed PVC "Jamb
Sill" (www.jamsill.com) trays in the door opening before reinstalling
the new door frames.

Looks to be a useful product. Of course, if the door manufacturers would
make their doors properly in the first place, there would be no need for the
"jamb sills". Hmm...I wonder if they are in cahoots

--

dadiOH