Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Dave wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 13:27:25 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
Difference is that legalization will lower the price, thus
making these outcomes less likely, and less drastic.

Drug addiction has a direct effect on the brain an behaviour. Do
you actually believe that an initially lower cost will change
that. All it will do is to create more drug addicts and more
problems for society. And, you're fooling yourself if you think
a lower cost will lessen anything. Just like cigarettes, a black
market will grow feed the increased need for drugs.

Drug addiction destroys homes, lives and people.

No argument there at all.

So why on earth would you advocate free market drugs. Do you
think for even one minute that destroyed homes, lives and people
won't have a cost effect on the population?

It's having that cost *now* -- exacerbated by the illegality.

Are you able to have a rational discussion without personally
insulting those who disagree with you?

Not when I see such absolutely ridiculous statements to the
effect of legalizing drugs.

Then you need to grow up.

Are you actually going to sit there and tell me that crystal
meth users are going to act rationally if crystal meth becomes
legal.

Where on earth did you get that notion?

Drug prohibition, like alcohol prohibition, does not and cannot
work: in a free market, if there is a demand for a product or
service, someone will provide a supply. The ONLY way to stop the
drug problem is to address the demand side, by regarding it as a
public health problem instead of a criminal justice problem.

Maybe not, but legalizing drugs as a means to control it is
absolutely absurd. Find another method to control the drug
market.

Legalize them, tax them, use the tax revenues to fund treatment
programs.

Again, I say that drug addiction has a direct effect on brains
and behaviour. The horrendous increase in drug addicts due to
easy access would only result in social catastrophe.

And the status quo has *not* had that result? What color is the
sky on your planet?