Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 18:54:28 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 00:49:10 -0800, Mike M
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 15:59:35 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Business insurance has cost me between $750 and $1,200 per year for
half a million liability, and that's with zero claims against it. They
want to double it if I do roofing or framing. You have it lucky up
there in Canuckistan. Hell, our ins guys want almost $10 for a
zeroxed copy of our own policy.

I haven't worked since I got hurt in 2009, but I wish my insurance was
that cheap. I'm just one state north of you and I had 2 million with
another 1 million umbrella policy. I paid $24,000 per year in 2008
for business insurance. Now I did have 2 bucket trucks, a boom truck,
6 vans, a box truck, and a pickup. I also had 8-10 employees and was
doing commercial industrial electrical work but man that seems cheap
for your insurance cost. My contracts usually had 4-8 clauses just to
deal with insurance and indemnification.

Yeah, everything in your biz reeks of risk. I'm glad handymanning
doesn't carry that insurance price. But I'm required to have a
contractor's license and continuing education to do work here. That
and insurance/bonding bring me up to several grand every 2 years.

I'm still doing CE's to maintain my master electrician license just in
case I have to work, but in Wa. electrical contractors get a break as
we only have to carry a $6K bond. A lot of the cost is being in
commercial & industrial where everyone wants to be named as an
additional insured. Just a hint use caution if your ever working
around navigatble waters. This requires an entire other insurance
policy.

On the other hand the guy
who ran me down only had 100K in insurance which covered my first 5
days of hospital time. I guess what I paid was worth it as I was able
to collect on the underinsured motorist part of the policy.

Wouldn't you like to find him some night in a dark alley, perhaps with
a loose 440V line in your gloved hand? "Here, hold this."

Actually I saw the guy that hit me being held back. After the EMT's
gave me the good stuff I think he was in more pain then me. He was 84
and had lukemia and prostate canser. He died the next month. I was
lucky it happened on the job. All I can tell you is good insurance
will save your family a lot of trouble if you can do it. Sadly once
the lawyers are involved there is no conversation.

Mike M