Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default Apprentice managed to lose a days pay

I think you are wildly optimistic about film grain. Fast film is as bad
as 2Mp more or less. good film like velva is around the 8MP mark and
only Kodachrome sends you up to the 20MP arena.

me too

I'm currently digitising my parent's slides. I find that 1200dpi is
quite adequate, anything over that and all you are doing is digitising
the grain.

The dynamic range, OTOH, is quite impressive. I'm pulling them down to
standard JPEG with 24-bit colour, and I have to fiddle with the tone
curve on a lot of the pictures - the detail is there in the shadows
and/or the highlights, but you can't see it without some care.

Andy