Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:12:10 +0000, MM wrote:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:02:23 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

On 30/12/2012 08:05, MM wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 00:22:34 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

On 29/12/2012 14:58, MM wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:47:12 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

MM wrote:

My Cat5 network at home works fine, but soon I shall be entertaining a
relative for several weeks, the relative has a laptop and wishes to
connect to my network.

I already have two TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet
Adapters to run a PC downstairs via the mains, (Router and ADSL modem
are upstairs.)

I'm thinking of buying this:
TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access
Point

Have you considered just replacing the exisiting router with one which
includes wireless functionality? The only issue with that is whether
you'd have adequate wifi coverage where you need it in the house
(depends on distance, wall thickness etc) but otherwise all things being
equal it would be a much better solution than buying a mains-borne
device. And cheaper

I don't myself like wifi. Never have. Cat5 provides me with total
reliability and efficient downloading. It's all I need.

I get better downloads from my netbook on wi-fi than I do from my
wired-up desktop. That probably tells you all you need to know about
my desktop, doesn't it?

Nick