Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

MM wrote:

I thought of that point, too. But in households where Cat5 is
considered as ancient as Bakelite telephones,

Cat5e (strictly) is superior to WiFi in terms of reliability and speed
(gigabit). WiFi of course allows one to roam free subject to obstacles and
distance!

There's nothing "ancient" about a wired installation -

it seems only wifi is
acceptable! And said relative IS coming specifically to help me
recuperate for ten days from a forthcoming op, so I feel I have to do
my "bit" as well.

but that's fair enough - if he's bringing a "pad" or mobile phone, wired is
not really an option.

I myself simply use the TP-Link TL-PA211 homeplugs
whenever I need to use one of my PCs in a different part of the house.
As long as there is a 3-pin socket in the vicinity, no problemo. The
TP-Link TL-PA211 kit (£30.95 from Amazon and worth every penny) came
with its own short piece of Cat5 cable and I just use that. But I am a
"wired" person. It seems other, more "advanced" users (usually young
people...) look down upon wired users as if they have the plague or
something. Or are just old, like me. My niece paid a visit a few
weekends ago and the first thing she asked was, how can she connect
her laptop? She had to "make do" with a 3m Cat5 cable! Oh, the shame!

Pah...

Anyway, I recommend

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...del=TL-WA901ND

a very competant piece of kit.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."