Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 00:22:34 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

On 29/12/2012 14:58, MM wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:47:12 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

MM wrote:

My Cat5 network at home works fine, but soon I shall be entertaining a
relative for several weeks, the relative has a laptop and wishes to
connect to my network.

I already have two TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet
Adapters to run a PC downstairs via the mains, (Router and ADSL modem
are upstairs.)

I'm thinking of buying this:
TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access
Point

But as none of my three PCs is wifi-enabled, I've got no way of
testing whether the wireless part will work to my relative's laptop
(until said relative arrives, which is too late; I want to be able to
get it all up and running before then so that all relative has to do
is switch laptop on and it connects).

So what would I need to spend to buy something that would test the
wifi-connection to the "TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender
with Wireless N Access Point"? I suppose a cheapo Notebook thingy,
e.g. Acer, is about as low as it goes. I believe these all come with
wifi inbuilt as standard.

MM

Get a mate with a smartphone to come round.

And then what?!!! I am a COMPLETE novice where wifi is concerned.
What's supposed to happen?

You'll have already set up the router with a wifi name (SSID)

No, the existing network is a *wired* setup employing only Cat5
cables. The Thomson SpeedTouch model 536 connects to the phone socket
and to the D-Link DES-1005D switch. I currently have NO wifi. The
extra TP-Link gizmo that I'll buy is for adding wifi to the existing
wired installation.

and a
password (both of your choice); your mate will be able to 'see' the
named network on his phone, and by entering the password will be able to
access the internet over your system. That's it really.

Now, I do understand that the TP-Link gizmo ~can~ be configured with a
password and I assume that any laptop or other wifi-enabled device
connecting to the wired network via the TP-Link wifi gizmo will need
this password, if set up.

MM