Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 00:49:10 -0800, Mike M
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 15:59:35 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Business insurance has cost me between $750 and $1,200 per year for
half a million liability, and that's with zero claims against it. They
want to double it if I do roofing or framing. You have it lucky up
there in Canuckistan. Hell, our ins guys want almost $10 for a
zeroxed copy of our own policy.

I haven't worked since I got hurt in 2009, but I wish my insurance was
that cheap. I'm just one state north of you and I had 2 million with
another 1 million umbrella policy. I paid $24,000 per year in 2008
for business insurance. Now I did have 2 bucket trucks, a boom truck,
6 vans, a box truck, and a pickup. I also had 8-10 employees and was
doing commercial industrial electrical work but man that seems cheap
for your insurance cost. My contracts usually had 4-8 clauses just to
deal with insurance and indemnification.

Yeah, everything in your biz reeks of risk. I'm glad handymanning
doesn't carry that insurance price. But I'm required to have a
contractor's license and continuing education to do work here. That
and insurance/bonding bring me up to several grand every 2 years.

On the other hand the guy
who ran me down only had 100K in insurance which covered my first 5
days of hospital time. I guess what I paid was worth it as I was able
to collect on the underinsured motorist part of the policy.

Wouldn't you like to find him some night in a dark alley, perhaps with
a loose 440V line in your gloved hand? "Here, hold this."

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.