Posted to uk.d-i-y
Part Timer Part Timer is offline

Default What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

On 29/12/2012 14:42, MM wrote:
My Cat5 network at home works fine, but soon I shall be entertaining a
relative for several weeks, the relative has a laptop and wishes to
connect to my network.

I already have two TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet
Adapters to run a PC downstairs via the mains, (Router and ADSL modem
are upstairs.)

I'm thinking of buying this:
TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access
Point

But as none of my three PCs is wifi-enabled, I've got no way of
testing whether the wireless part will work to my relative's laptop
(until said relative arrives, which is too late; I want to be able to
get it all up and running before then so that all relative has to do
is switch laptop on and it connects).

So what would I need to spend to buy something that would test the
wifi-connection to the "TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender
with Wireless N Access Point"? I suppose a cheapo Notebook thingy,
e.g. Acer, is about as low as it goes. I believe these all come with
wifi inbuilt as standard.

MM

Is there anything stopping your relative from using a CAT5 cable whilst
at your place?