Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mentalguy2k8 Mentalguy2k8 is offline

Default What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

"MM" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:53:33 -0000, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
My Cat5 network at home works fine, but soon I shall be entertaining a
relative for several weeks, the relative has a laptop and wishes to
connect to my network.

I already have two TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet
Adapters to run a PC downstairs via the mains, (Router and ADSL modem
are upstairs.)

I'm thinking of buying this:
TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access
Point

But as none of my three PCs is wifi-enabled, I've got no way of
testing whether the wireless part will work to my relative's laptop
(until said relative arrives, which is too late; I want to be able to
get it all up and running before then so that all relative has to do
is switch laptop on and it connects).

So what would I need to spend to buy something that would test the
wifi-connection to the "TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender
with Wireless N Access Point"? I suppose a cheapo Notebook thingy,
e.g. Acer, is about as low as it goes. I believe these all come with
wifi inbuilt as standard.

Kindle?

You could activate the wifi and ask a neighbour to connect to it and test.
But put a password on it once you've made sure it's working and for when
you've got it on for any length of time.

Or.... if you don't want to spend much, just buy a crappy Wifi card or USB
Wifi stick for a few quid, fit to your PC and test. Doesn't have to be
"Wireless N" as long as your router supports slower devices.

Ah! You mean, convert one of my PCs to wifi. Didn't think of that,
thanks. So if I bunged in a cheapo WiFi card into one of my spare PCI
slots, it would just work, yes? I could disconnect the Cat5 cable from
that PC and it would work via WiFi to the "TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200
Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access Point"? Is that what you
mean?

Yep! Or even easier, buy a USB wifi adapter and then you don't even need to
dismantle the PC.