Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend[_5_] Karl Townsend[_5_] is offline

Default Controlling Thermal Growth

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 15:34:57 -0500, Joe AutoDrill
wrote:

On 12/28/2012 3:29 PM, wrote:

Greetings Joe,
At first thought, at least to me, the following idea seemed kind of
hokey, but maybe it will work. How about using a heater? Instead of
waiting for the head to heat up or having variable results in
different shops why not use a thermostat controlled heater? Then the
thing stays at some pre-determined temperature and tight tolerances
can be held.
Eric

See, that's the kind of stuff I would never think of on my own... Keep
'em coming!

of course, your solution can't raise the cost much

Can you drill in water passages? Then sell a temp control unit to
those customers that need it. You could go from simple to
sophisticated here. Simple=solenoid+thermostat to city water

Water has 50X more cooling than fins to air.