Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_5_] Rick Hughes[_5_] is offline

Default Lead Acid Charger

I have a relatively new Car Battery Charger (twas a gift) claimed to
be electronic 'smart' charger.
Took the cover off and found it to be a straight transformer to full
wave rectifier set of diodes ... and out to croc leads.

Only 'smart' bit was that it had a 'display pcb of 3 LED's .... one for
power, the other 2 just via a zener diode to measure aprox charge
voltage - no actual control at all.

Thought as the case, transformer, diodes & heatsinks are fine ... could
use this a basis for a proper 3 stage 'SMART Charger'

I have couple of links to full designs, but these use PICs and need
programming, which I do not have facility to do.
There are really SMART and fully programmable for battery parameters
etc. and Deep Cycles batteries .... eg

http://www.swinburne.edu.my/docs/lib...200701_jan.pdf

overkill for my needs ... which is basic low speed charge & float charge.
Anybody know of a simpler circuit ... all I need is ability to charge 6
& 12 V batteries, non-deep cycle.