Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Larry Jaques wrote:

I believe in teaching all children to swim at an early age so they
never have the chance to drown. I'd add weapons handling to that
training, for people of all ages, if I were in charge. Especially for
the cops who keep shooting innocent bystanders. Why aren't you
lamenting over (and vocal activist against) that instead of trying to
bankrupt us law-abiding citizens who never shoot anyone, Han?

I was thinking about this very thing, but decided not to interject it into
the discussion, but Larry did us the favor. Han - look for the statistics
on the number of mistaken shootings by LEO as compared to private citizens.
Look at it any way you wish - in raw numbers, by percentages, or any other
way. You will find that your confidence in LEO's to protect you rather than
protecting yourself is ill placed confidence. More collateral damage is
done by LEO's when they pull their guns than by private citizens - by a
large number. Go out to a gun range and watch your typical LEO shoot side
by side with an average gun owner and observe the difference in skill. The
LEO typically fails miserably. I'm not talking about specialty agents here,
such as SWAT members - average LEO's, across any police force. Their once
or twice a year qualifying on a range at 7 yards, does nothing to make them
competent with that weapon. The number of rounds they discharge in an event
would embarass any competent shooter. Yet - those such as yourself place
your trust in them to be there to help you. If you needed help, you'd stand
as good a chance of being the victim of his shooting as would the
perpetrator of the crime. If you can even expect the LEO to get to you.
The difference is that if an LEO shoots you by mistake, it gets
investigated, and then is determined to be "justified".

--

-Mike-