Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On 27 Dec 2012 19:56:39 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Thinking about problems is a good thing, but you obviously don't
know what laws already exist and how effective or ineffective they
are.

Mike, please tell me how the guns come into the city? I know they
are ineffective, and I know we can't possibly get it all totally 100%
right. But the current laws aren't working. And I think it is more
the laxity of laws elsewhere and the loopholes in the federal
statutes that are the cause.

Han - when have you ever seen a law that the criminal element
respected? Almost everything you've said in this conversation has been
about legal and responsible gun owners and your desire to further
limit their ownership of guns. And then you wander off talking about
things that are already illegal, and are being done by criminals who
hold no regard for the law, and you think more laws is going to change
that? Really?

You're unwilling to see what is clear to me. The current system with its
many loopholes is making it too easy for the criminals and wannabee
criminals to get the guns. What is worse, that 20 kids and 6 of their
teachers are now dead, or that John Gunowner increases his safekeeping of
his guns?

And you're unwilling to see what is perfectly clear to me. You keep
attacking guns and lawful owners as if -they're- to blame. You fail
to see that criminals will find guns, knives, clubs, rocks, chisels,
screwdrivers, or hammers wherever they can. Criminals will use these
things whenever they want, despite whatever silly laws are in effect.

Even if your dreams came true and every single legally owned and
registered EVIL GUN was taken out of our hands and melted down,
tomorrow would be a red letter day in the life of criminals. You see,
all their guns would be black market, and the number coming across the
borders (from Mexico and Canada) would increase 100-fold to keep up
with their wants and needs. Only NOW, with all the rest of us
disarmed, they'd do anything and everything they wanted all day long.
Are you happy now?

By the way, a crazy with a machete could walk into a crowd and take
down twenty or thirty people about as fast as a criminal with a gun.
Terrorism is entirely unstoppable, with or without guns in the mix.

--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.