Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On 27 Dec 2012 19:47:12 GMT, Han wrote:

Tim Daneliuk wrote in
:

On 12/27/2012 07:16 AM, Han wrote:
The US has
an enormously larger gun-related death rate than any other civili

3) "Enormously larger" - Better check your math. There are something
like 1700 deaths by gun per year in the US. There are 30,000+
auto accidents. Why do You And Yours not focus on the single
most dangerous thing threatening American lives: Small, light
cars driving at expressway speeds. We need laws to make sure
everyone is forced to drive 5000 pound SUVs because it "saves
lives".

Apples and oranges. Compare gun-related violence here and abroad. that
is the comparison. As I said, we are trying to do things about
automobile accidents and negligence. Does that exempt firearms from
attention?

That's one of the reasons I want to see the gang killing stats
separated from the rest. It's the larger majority of homicides. Once
we can see those clearly, maybe you anti-gun folks will go after the
idiots in gangs instead of us non criminal gun owners who don't commit
crimes. Cops and DAs won't like that, though. We're much easier to
catch and try than the real criminals because we've done nothing
wrong. That won't always be the case, though. If the gun banners
come for all our weapons, don't be surprised if the majority of gun
owning Americans flatly refuse to give them up.

Your position is irrational. There are something like 300 million
guns in the country and 1700 deaths by criminals, but you want to
punish the 99.9999999999999999% of gun owners that are completely
responsible.

I am in favor of gun owners being responsible (obviously!). However,
something needs to be done to prevent repeats of Newtown and Webster.
While it may make sense for everyone in rural Nebraska who is hours away
from police and other first responders to have the means of selfdefense,
I don't think it is a good idea in cities or suburbs. Mrs. Lanza showed
that. So we are back to where we were. Ideally there would be no idiots
with high power rifles. How to prevent them from getting them??

Again, why the focus on guns which are used to commit less than two
percent of the crimes? (I correct my earlier figure of 2.8%) So
_many_ different things kill more people every day.

The Ant-Gun Movement: Where reason, sanity, and careful thought
go to die.

I think you meant to say anti-gun. I meant this discussion to be polite
and educational. I have certainly learned some things. Unfortunately, I
still conclude that there is no need for Bushmaster-type rifles and high
capacity magazines for them.

Perhaps not for yourself...yet. wink But if you had a mob coming
down the street, burning houses on their way, you might wish you had a
carbine, a very large stock of ammo, and a ****load of magazines.
(bullet holders) Riots do happen in your neck of the woods, and I
think there might be more on the way.

P.S. I think the sanctimonious and self-important gun banners
should be consistent in their demands because they want
to "Save The Children (tm)":

http://www.allmax.com/MILT/

We are waiting for the agency responsible for regulating table saw safety
to make rulings ... And indeed, stupid people like myself could have
hurt themselves even more than I did myself, and a Sawstop might have
prevented some of that.

When it's made illegal to hurt oneself, we'll all own SaurSchtopps,
I'm sure.

P.S: Don't forget to stop by another ban shop here, Han.
Save the Chillens! Ban this dangerous drug! http://www.dhmo.org/

--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.