Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Tim Daneliuk wrote in news:cguuq9-is3.ln1
@ozzie.tundraware.com:

On 12/27/2012 03:54 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote in news:ljluq9-0ue1.ln1
@ozzie.tundraware.com:

SNIP

Again: 31,940 total U.S. deaths in 2011 due to the discharge of a firearm, of which 11,101
were homicides.

I don't know where you're getting this from.

I cited it in my original response to you; it's from the CDC. Here it is again:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf

Accident: page 41, near the bottom
Suicide: page 42, near the top
Homicide: page 42, just below suicide
Undetermined: page 42, just below homicide

That's certainly not the FBI data.

No, of course it's not. CDC reports deaths from all causes. FBI reports deaths from crimes.

See:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-in-the-u.s.-

2011/tables/table-20

When I sum up the guns column, I get about 8500 for 2011.

Nearly 8600, actually.

That is a list of *murders*. Not *homicides*. And it's still a factor of *five* higher than the
1,700 figure you cited originally. (Where did that come from, anyway?)

Besides, it's incomplete: Alabama and Florida are missing, and the footnote for the
"Murders" column specifically states that it includes only those murders "for which
supplemental homicide data were received".

Furthermore, "homicide" and "murder" are not synonyms. Murder is the intentional and
unjustified killing of another human being. Homicide is simply the killing of another human
being, without regard to intent or justification, and includes these categories:
- murder
- negligence
- justifiable homicide (e.g. in self-defense)
- accident

The FBI data you cite includes only the first of these categories.

When reporting firearms deaths, the CDC separates them according to intent: intentional vs.
accidental. The FBI isn't concerned with homicides unless they are criminal, and thus the
FBI numbers will be lower than the CDC's -- because the CDC is counting everything, and
the FBI is not.