Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default "I need my WiFi"

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 08:32:45 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I don't facebook ;-)

You will. Some of the parents I know are on Facebook solely to see
what their kids are saying and doing.
http://www.facebook.com/jeff.liebermann

As I recall, it was a BEFSR81, which belongs in a museum, but could
use replacement. What you want is dual band, guest access, WPA2/AES
encryption, and aerodynamic styling.

"Styling"? Is that an engineering word ?:-)

Yes. I suspect it's something that isn't found in chip design. It's
a major consideration for home networking. If it looks like something
from a mad scientists lab, it won't sell. This year, projecting
antennas, sharp corners, flashing lights, and white boxes are out,
while internal antennas, rounded corners, no lights, and the black
Darth Vader approved color schemes are in. Yes, there is such a thing
as fashions, style, and aesthetics in network hardware.

It's also a pet peeve of mine, where styling becomes more important
than function. For example, network boxes that can't be stacked on
top of each other. The name of the game seems to be "I want my box on
top of the pile". The Linksys devices I recommended are in this
category. The ultimate example was the old Apple Airport wireless
routers, which looked like a giant mushroom or flying saucer.
http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/itemimages/236/689/236689_large.jpg
Fortunately, Apple eventually came to their senses and switched to
stackable network boxes.

Footnote: Happy Holidaze.

Same to you and yours!

Bah Humbug. It's the traditional post-Christmas rush for me. Two
days out of the box, and I have two laptops with viruses arriving at
the shop today. One more that may be dead on arrival. I expect more
of the same in the following weeks. We had a storm last week. Only
one lightning hit in the area, which unfortunately hit very close to
one of my customers home. Wiped out most of the wireless and
networking hardware. Anything connected with CAT5 or long wires was
blown. Next, I get the call from a business, who wants to spend some
"excess" capital on computer upgrades. The catch is that I have to
spend it all in the next two days so that it can be deducted this
year. Of course, I haven't finished this years billing and
bookkeeping. Meanwhile, I'm dragging around a cold or flu for the
last 7 weeks that won't go away. I hate Christmas.

Incidentally, I helped assemble a fancy treadmill exercise machine for
a friend. In order to get firmware updates, it needs a wi-fi internet
connection. I'll also be installing wi-fi at a customers. They got a
Roku 2 XD IP video media player, which only connects to the internet
via wi-fi. You will eventually need wi-fi. Resistance is futile.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D