Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default "I need my WiFi"

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:36:00 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 17:00:39 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

In the annual run-up to Christmas, Thompson-style... scheduled to
accommodate grandchildren in college, meeting the fiancee of the
oldest granddaughter, out-of-state grandchildren, and prosecutors who
had "murder duty" on the 25th, we'll celebrate Christmas this year on
Saturday, the 29th.

I celebrated Hanukkah a week earlier. December is one long party for
me.

I know the drill. This 11 year-old is Duane's daughter and is being
raised in the Jewish traditions. So we have a Menorah on hand for
such occasions.

The first arrival, 11 years old, from Palm Springs, asked, "Opa, Do
you have WiFi? I need my WiFi!" ;-)

You need Wi-Fi if you have kids or smartphone users in the house. Kids
are easy. Smartphone, iPad, Android, or laptop addicts are not. Be
prepared to have them spend the day on Facebook updating the world on
YOUR activities.

I don't facebook ;-)

Presently I have a Linksys 8-port router, since I wired the house with
CAT-5 as it was being built, 19 years ago, never thinking wireless.

As I recall, it was a BEFSR81, which belongs in a museum, but could
use replacement. What you want is dual band, guest access, WPA2/AES
encryption, and aerodynamic styling.

"Styling"? Is that an engineering word ?:-)

I have a few spare ports on the Linksys.

How few? If it's more than 4 ports, you will probably need to also
add a cheap 5 or 16 port ethernet switch. However, I think this would
be a good time to think about upgrading to Gigabit (1000baseT)
ethernet. Fast is fun.

What should I get as WiFi, considering the following...

Thank you for not specifying a budget. Fortunately, it's after
Christmas so many things are on sale.

House is essentially 65' x 65', so I need good range. But I can
easily locate transponder 8-10' off the floor.

It's not so much the size, but what's in the walls. If your inside
walls are stuffed with aluminum foil backed insulation, they will
block all RF. However, since you have ethernet all over the house, it
will be easy to add a 2nd radio in the form of an access point. Note
that an access point is just a wireless router with the router section
disabled, leaving just the wireless access point and ethernet switch
functional.

Some things to know about guest access before taking the plunge:
http://fixhomenetwork.com/blog/guest-network-access-for-linksys-e1000-e2000-e3000-routers/
Note that the guest login is isolated from the desktops, so the
grand-brat is unlikely to do further damage.

How do I set it up so grandchildren can access the web, but not
intrude on any of my PC's? Already had the wife's PC's E-mail fouled
up by the 5-year-old :-(

Ask the grand-brats for tech support?

Here's what I suggest:

- Linksys EA2700, EA3500, or EA4500 wireless router depending on your
budget. $70 to $160.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31738-cisco-linksys-ea2700-gigabit-dual-band-wireless-n600-router-reviewed
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31722-cisco-linksys-ea3500-dual-band-n750-router-with-gigabit-and-usb-reviewed
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/31727-inside-story-cisco-linksys-ea-series?start=1
Setup guest access for the grand-brats and other transients. If you
can't figure it out, I'm sure the kids can show you how it's done.
Make sure that you have normal wireless access setup for WPA2-AES
wireless encryption to keep the neighbors out of your system. I'm not
a big fan of WPS (wireless protected setup) but if you don't want to
deal with passwords, it does make life easier.

- Few of todays wireless routers have 8 ethernet ports, so you'll need
to add an ethernet switch. I suggest gigabit ethernet as in Linksys
SE2800 for about $60:
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-SE2800-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B004TLIVBG
Just about anything that claims to play gigabit will work so you're
not stuck with buying anything that's "compatible" with the wireless
router.

- If you need to expand the system into the other end of the house
because of weak signals, just get a lower tech wireless route that has
guest access. One of the cheaper model Linksys routers such as the
EA1200 will suffice. You can move it around to other ethernet ports
as needed. If you have to unplug something, just move it to one of
the unused LAN ports on the back of this "portable" wireless access
point. For setting up a wireless router as an access point, see:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30338-how-to-convert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point
http://wireless.navas.us/index.php?title=Wi-Fi_How_To#Use_a_wireless_router_as_a_wireless_acce ss_point

However, if you're in a rush, and just need something to plug in
immediately, I suggest getting just the EA1200. Configure it as an
access point (not as a router). Nothing to change in the existing
BEFSR81. Setup a guest login. Give the EA1200 a static IP address
that's one digit more than the your existing BEFSR81. If the router
IP is 192.168.1.1, then configure your EA1200 for 192.168.1.2. Plug
it into one of the BEFSR81 spare ports, and have the grand-brat
provide the necessary testing and quality assurance.

What can go wrong? Well, if you just plug the unconfigured EA1200
into your existing LAN, you will have a duplicated IP address. Nothing
will work and you'll blame the grand-brat who will immediately start
crying. To avoid this disaster, take a computah off the network, plug
only this computer into the EA1200, and do ALL the configuring. When
done and you have a new 192.168.1.2 IP address configured, only then
plug it into the LAN.

Excellent suggestion! Thanks!

Note: alt.internet.wireless exists.

Footnote: Happy Holidaze.