Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OT Old Job Descriptions

On 27/12/2012 17:42, Robin wrote:
My partner's grandfather is shown to occupy premises in Bethnal Green
in 1921 as an electrical engineer. There is no family left who can
explain what he did but there was mention in the whispers and
memories of something to do with electricity so it makes some sense -
and I cannot help but wonder what the term meant then. Can't imagine
that any sort of electrical installer would need any form of shop
premises, the area was very poor so unlikely to attract many retail
customers, what is left? Selling lamp bulbs? Charging radio
batteries? Fixing appliances?

It would help if you could expound on your source for "shown to occupy
premises in Bethnal Green". Eg in 1921 Bethnal Green was still a
distinct registration district so if that is what you meant then it
covered a pretty big area[1] and not just what today might be seen as
Bethnal Green. If you don't have an address you could try one of the
sites which try to index the area. Eg you clould search for him and/or
his professed occupation at http://london1912.co.uk/index.shtml You'll
find a fair few electrical engineers around the area as it was a big
manufacturing area so a lot of call for lighting installations, power
etc. You could of course also care to try one of the UK FH groups.

[]1 'Er indoors has been deep into her FH for 20+ years so I've had a
fair bit soak into me - a bit like living next in Windscale.

Source is he

http://london1912.co.uk/streets/HareStreet.shtml

Together with information from other sources, this makes sense. Which
will be no surprise to you!

--
Rod