Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 27 Dec 2012 01:46:40 GMT, Han wrote:

Tim Daneliuk wrote in
:

Do you ACTUALLY think this is what gun buyers do? Have you so
little regard for shooter in the US that you think they
intentionally peddle weapons to people they know are unstable or
criminals? Gun owners are - on the whole - among the most law
abiding straight arrows you'll ever find. It's the media that are
the criminals ... for telling lies and getting people to buy into
those lies....

Obviously 99% or more of gun owners are law abiding, honest, careful
etc. However, that does not prevent a few of not being so, does it?
There are some 8 million people either in New York City, or the
immediate metro area. In all of New York State there are some 70,000
prisoners, or less than 0.09%. And by far not all are there because
of firearm offenses in New York City. See how safe we are? Still,
people don't like getting shot, and IMNSHO we should do more to
prevent guns from getting in the wrong hands. As you can see from the
simple statistics here, arming everyone is NOT the solution. I don't
think keeping track of the more potent weapons now in circulation will
be easy, but then, Americans are known for coming up with ingenious
solutions. I'm waiting. Until something better comes up, I think
that registration, licensing and insuring guns and gun owners should
be tried. All AR-15, similar and more potent to start with, with
handguns not far behind. I know there will be many against such, but
(again IMNSHO) the 2nd amendment does not guarantee the unfettered
distribution of firearms.

That's true. We can't own RPGs, artillery, tanks, or even the smallest
of nuclear devices.

Han, until it fully sinks into your brain that:

1) legal owners of firearms are NOT doing these crimes
and
2) legal weapons are NOT being used to do the crimes (except after
being stolen)
and
3) crazies, criminals, gangs, and illegal weapons _are_
and
4) crazies, criminals, and gangs don't register illegal weapons

My point is that criminals and semicriminals (my buddy needs a gun ...)
are the main cause of the misuse of guns. So responsible use isn't
universal, and when that gets extended to weapons of the Bushmaster ilk,
the consequences are rather horrible. I still have to hear of a reason
that I would consider valid for owning such a weapon in an individual's
home. I can see the "fun" of firing it at a range, but then it should be
locked up in a really effective way so it can't possibly be used
irresponsibly. If that can't be guaranteed (I know), then the weapon
shouldn't be owned by individuals, just like real military weapons.

you'll be counting and limiting _the_wrong_weapons_ and
_the_wrong_people in those registries and that doesn't stop a -single-
crime from being committed.

The (IMO) terrible thing is that you are probably correct. All because
the genie is out of the bottle by now, and it will be impossible to
retrace all those weapons in circulation.

I just don't see why folks of the liberal bent fail to understand such
as simple concept. You are far from being alone in thinking that. I
think part of it is being angry at guns in general rather than the
people who are abusing them. Why is that, if I may ask?

Obviously weapons have their uses. And I am indeed anti-gun for private
citizens, other than really self-defense weapons. Do we have to go back
to the Al Capone days??

Registries are used to track down lawful citizens and lawful weapons.
How does that stop crime? Ever?

Perhaps, as someone else said, there isn't enough effort and money spent
to prevent the weapons from falling into the wrong hands. The weapons
Spenger used were legally produced and sold, except Spenger illegally got
his hands on them. Soon we'll know how he managed to do that. I wonder
how you then will propose to prevent the same thing from happening again.

And please tell your local/state/federal representatives that we need
to separate gang deaths and suicides from the firearms related deaths
to get a rational number. The former two will be the majority causes,
I'm sure.

Gang deaths are just to be written of? Suicides too? Apart from the
fact that those events are officially illegal, they are also tragic,
though not (perhaps) on the same level as the deaths of those first
graders and their teachers in Newtown, CT.

Now look at this chart and tell me how guns are so bad.
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pd..._2007_bw-a.pdf
Four times more people die from simply falling down. Traffic
fatalities are 10x the rate, suicide 7x. More people die accidentally
under their own pillows than by homicide from guns.

Please get some _perspective_.

Larry, we do all kinds of things to prevent falls, accidental poisoning,
traffic accidents, and so on. But we should ignore firearms-related
deaths? Come on ... And homicide by gun is easily prevented. Get rid
of the gun.

--
Best regards
Han