Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Tim Daneliuk wrote in
news
On 12/26/2012 07:46 PM, Han wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote in
:

Do you ACTUALLY think this is what gun buyers do? Have you so
little regard for shooter in the US that you think they
intentionally peddle weapons to people they know are unstable or
criminals? Gun owners are - on the whole - among the most law
abiding straight arrows you'll ever find. It's the media that are
the criminals ... for telling lies and getting people to buy into
those lies....

Obviously 99% or more of gun owners are law abiding, honest, careful
etc. However, that does not prevent a few of not being so, does it?
There are some 8 million people either in New York City, or the
immediate metro area. In all of New York State there are some 70,000
prisoners, or less than 0.09%. And by far not all are there because
of firearm offenses in New York City. See how safe we are? Still,
people don't like getting shot, and IMNSHO we should do more to
prevent guns from getting in the wrong hands. As you can see from
the simple statistics here, arming everyone is NOT the solution. I
don't think keeping track of the more potent weapons now in
circulation will be easy, but then, Americans are known for coming up
with ingenious solutions. I'm waiting. Until something better comes
up, I think that registration, licensing and insuring guns and gun
owners should be tried. All AR-15, similar and more potent to start
with, with handguns not far behind. I know there will be many
against such, but (again IMNSHO) the 2nd amendment does not guarantee
the unfettered distribution of firearms.

Let's see if I have the logic here right:

- A very small minority of people misuse guns (you suggest
1% but the number is actually much lower).

Almost right. At least 1 order of magnitude less. I said less than
0.09%

- The people misusing guns are - by definition - doing something
illegal.

Misuse includes careless storage as well as criminal acitvities.

- Your proposed solutions is to legislate more laws for ... the
other 99+ % of the population.

'See any flaws with that?

No I don't see anything wrong with that. There are 7 billion people on
earth. Only a few hundred or thousand at most are active terrorists.
Still we have to take our shoes off at the airport.

All car owners have to get their cars insected for safety and pollution
issues, although 99% pass each inspection. Nobody sees anything wrong.
Firearms are inherent capable of rendering harm is misused. It is
impossible to correctly identify all Spengers without incarcerating many
totally innocent people. Keep better track of the guns and really punish
those who sell them to their ineligible buddies. And that includes
banning high capacity magazines and licensing the munitions.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but the current systems don't work. The US has
an enormously larger gun-related death rate than any other civilized
country. WHY???
--
Best regards
Han