Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Why would anyone C clamp open all the fireplace flues?

On 12/26/2012 12:17 PM, Jim wrote:
Tony Palermo wrote:

a damper clip is required on all fireplaces that have been equipped
with gas logs

I didn't realize the pilot light is supposed to be ALWAYS ON!
So, the damper has to be open for the pilot fumes to escape up the
chimney.

However, keeping the pilot light on all the time - doesn't that waste
a ton of energy?

Do most people keep their pilot light burning all the time?
Seems wasteful to me.

I would just open the damper when I light the fireplace if it
wasn't clamped open like it is now.

A standing pilot does a couple of things. It can keep things warm which
helps prevent corrosion and it tends to drive away any insects that may
want to take up residence in the flue and burners. It's also simple and
reliable, the electronic ignition equipped systems are more complicated
and have more points of failure. Most folks leave the pilot burning in
cold weather when the fireplace may be used and turn the gas off in the
warmer months especially if they are using LP gas. ^_^

TDD

Good point. I once had a camp heater that refused to light.
Turned out there was a spider web across the spark gap.

I also had a CD burner that refused to work because of a spider
web across the lens.

Maybe I should clean house more often...