Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Han wrote:

Obviously 99% or more of gun owners are law abiding, honest, careful
etc. However, that does not prevent a few of not being so, does it?
There are some 8 million people either in New York City, or the
immediate metro area. In all of New York State there are some 70,000
prisoners, or less than 0.09%. And by far not all are there because
of firearm offenses in New York City. See how safe we are? Still,
people don't like getting shot, and IMNSHO we should do more to
prevent guns from getting in the wrong hands. As you can see from
the simple statistics here, arming everyone is NOT the solution. I
don't think keeping track of the more potent weapons now in
circulation will be easy, but then, Americans are known for coming up
with ingenious solutions. I'm waiting. Until something better comes
up, I think that registration, licensing and insuring guns and gun
owners should be tried. All AR-15, similar and more potent to start
with, with handguns not far behind. I know there will be many
against such, but (again IMNSHO) the 2nd amendment does not guarantee
the unfettered distribution of firearms.

Sure thing - we'll get right on getting all those crooks to register their
guns. Should work and shouldn't take long at all. BTW Han - all handguns
must be registered in NY already, and the average citizen can't even get a
pistol permit in NYC. See how well that works?

Thinking about problems is a good thing, but you obviously don't know what
laws already exist and how effective or ineffective they are.

--

-Mike-