Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default BASIC without caps - Voltage divider solver.exe

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:38:45 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:30:25 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 20:04:34 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:17:57 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 14:32:38 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 09:37:38 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 08:29:02 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:36:03 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:
[snip]

LT Spice *does* the math. It's just a different kind of calculator.
There are times to trust it, and times to not trust it, and more times
to not use it at all. Lots of amateurs fiddle with circuits until they
seem to work, but don't account for tolerances or don't really
understand the parts or run something a few times and miss
low-probability hazards.

And LT Spice will sometimes suggest that a circuit won't work, when it
actually does. It's a kind of dangerous tool, but it does voltage
dividers just fine. For a question like "how can I make this multi-tap
voltage divider out of resistors that I have in stock", using a
calculator or LT Spice are both fiddling, but Spice is a huge lot
faster.

---
As you are wont to say, "Word salad."

You're an amateur. In so many ways.

---
Just an ad hominem attack, and I'd say it was PKB, what with your not
knowing what source code was, and all.

I really got a kick out of that statement, "And LT Spice will
sometimes suggest that a circuit won't work, when it actually does."

Some circuits simply won't start up in simulation. Or some device
model may leave out something important. LT Spice lets you put 100 KV
across a 1N914, or the b-e junction of a 2N2222.

---
A bad workman blames his tools...

A cliche is a poor substitute for thinking.

---
Indeed, but I think it's a no-brainer in this case since your thinking
that LTspice's not flagging your error was a deficiency on its part
when it was you who was calling the shots and you who should have
known better.
---

But I don't blame Spice for being what it is. I use it seldom, and
sanity-check everything that it does. I never Spice whole designs, and
many of my designs don't involve Spice at all.

And I'm not a workman; I'm an engineer.

---
Engineers aren't workmen?

Utter nonsense, since even if you consider yourself bourgeoisie and
try to distance yourself from the hoi-polloi, you still do work and,
as a consequence, are a workman.
---

You're just whining, as usual.

---