Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Doug Winterburn wrote in
b.com:

On 12/26/2012 06:50 PM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 17:26:01 -0600, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

On 12/25/2012 08:20 PM, Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

Someone thought it was a "good idea" to exempt gun shows from
the need for background checks. I really don't know how to keep
a crazy guy from getting a gun in a country (apparently) awash
in them.

Politicians like Bloomberg like to tout the loopholes in the law
as they relate to gun shows, but it pays to dig a bit deeper.
Dealers are required to perform NICS checks - even at gun shows.
Private individuals are not. So if you show up to sell a gun,
there is no requirement for a NICS check. So - gun shows are not
exempt from background checks.

So the loophole is a little more complicated. The dealer just has
to sell the gun to a bystander who would not fail a background
check. This individual can then just sell the gun to someone who
would fail a background check. I seem to recall a TV report from
one of the major networks, where there were plenty of people
willing to sell a gun to someone who wouldn't pass a background
check. I thin those sales should be officially illegal. Period.

Do you ACTUALLY think this is what gun buyers do? Have you so
little regard for shooter in the US that you think they
intentionally peddle weapons to people they know are unstable or
criminals? Gun owners are - on the whole - among the most law
abiding straight arrows you'll ever find. It's the media that are
the criminals ... for telling lies and getting people to buy into
those lies....

...and carrying illegal weapons in DC.

I indeed think that CNN reporter should be issued a summons and if
found guilty, he should NOT get off easy. Obviously if he had a
cardboard copy, that may be an extenuating circumstance. I also
think that (if he had a real working magazine) the person who gave or
sold it to him should go to jail.

Btw, while it may have been legal to publish all those names and
addresses of legal firearm owners in Westchester and Rockland
counties, it was at least highly unethical. That newspaper editor
and journalist need to go for aggravated stupidity.

Perhaps it would even the score to publish the names and addresses of
all those folks who had no firearms?

This was (I read this, but didn't check) published as a map. So every
home not listed as having a registered gun owner had either a homeowner
without a gun, or with an illegal gun. When you go out harvesting loot,
pray you pick the "right" home ...

That idiot reporter should be hung out to dry ...

--
Best regards
Han