Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Motherboard /processor upgrade ?

"robgraham" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 2:49 am, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/12/2012 22:19, robgraham wrote:

On Dec 18, 8:46 pm, robgraham wrote:
I've Dell Dimension 5000 which must be in the order of 7 or 8 years
old. There's no problems with it apart from it being bit slow on
photo processing, which is the only processor intensive activity I do
apart form a bit of SketchUp and that seems OK.

Is it new wine into old bottles to consider a motherboard/processor
upgrade ? If it's worth doing how do I work out what board type is in
it at the moment and what would I be best to look for ? I'm quite
happy to go the Ebay path and look for someone else's upgrading cast-
off.

Thanks for any help

Rob

OK guys, lets go back to square one where this enquiry started. If I
go to WOC, say, looking for a box that has a M/B + memory and a PSU in
it, which is all I need in that I have perfectly good DVD drives and a
new H/D already, what ....

1 M/B do I go for ?
2 Do I need a video card ?

For example - looking at my normal supplier:

KINGSTON 4GB 1333MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 CL9 DIMM MEMORY

ASUS P8H61-MX USB3, INTEL H61, MATX, LGA1155, 2 D3 1333, VGA, DVI, 1 X
PCIE16, USB3

INTEL CORE I3-2120 DUAL CORE,1155, 3.3GHZ, SANDY BRIDGE, HD GFX, 5GTS,
3MB CACHE

AOPEN MICRO ATX CASE, H425E, 400W PSU, BLACK, FRONT USB AND AUDIO

I could do you for £193 inc VAT & delivery

--
Cheers,

John.

Many thanks guys - helps a lot. Valid questions though

1 Forgetting for the moment about Linux as I don't want any further
hassles (TNP - will probably go down that way for an old laptop for
the workshop - out of interest will SketchUp work on Linux ?) - what
is the advantage of 64 bit Windows 7 over 32 bit as most of the
software I'll be porting across runs on XP at the moment.

Mainly being able to use more than 4GB of physical ram.

2 Does the increase on operating power to deal with the photo
processing I want speeded up come from the faster RAM or the several
cores in the processor?

Not so much faster ram as more ram, particularly with some
apps used for photo processing, and more faster cores too.