Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 22:13:58 -0500, wrote:

On 26 Dec 2012 02:20:56 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

Someone thought it was a "good idea" to exempt gun shows from the
need for background checks. I really don't know how to keep a crazy
guy from getting a gun in a country (apparently) awash in them.

Politicians like Bloomberg like to tout the loopholes in the law as
they relate to gun shows, but it pays to dig a bit deeper. Dealers
are required to perform NICS checks - even at gun shows. Private
individuals are not. So if you show up to sell a gun, there is no
requirement for a NICS check. So - gun shows are not exempt from
background checks.

So the loophole is a little more complicated. The dealer just has to
sell the gun to a bystander who would not fail a background check. This
individual can then just sell the gun to someone who would fail a
background check. I seem to recall a TV report from one of the major
networks, where there were plenty of people willing to sell a gun to
someone who wouldn't pass a background check. I thin those sales should
be officially illegal. Period.

AFAIK they ARE illegal. If they KNOWINGLY sell a firearm to a
convicted fellon it is against the law. Obviously, if the licenced
dealer cannot sell it there is a good reason the buyer should not be
able to buy it. Only a rabid gun nut would resell that gun. Or a
"connected" "american entrepeneur" who would do anything for money.

It is illegal (for a non FFL holder) to purchase a handgun with the
intention of transferring it to someone else. I couldn't buy a
handgun for my wife[*], of all fool things. She can easily use any
that are in the house.
[*] A misread of the law, AIUI.